Monday, September 28, 2009

Food for Thought

The group I was involved with while I was in college just had a retreat for their freshman group. In an e-mail update they sent a couple of the topics that the speaker touched on during the talks:

No compromise for God. A handful of students were committed to deleting all of their "shared" (not purchased/stolen) music from their iPods, after hearing a message on what it means to live a life of "no compromise" for God.

Zeal for God. Other students were excited to stay up all night with their Connection Groups, seeking the Lord in prayer, because they longed to be zealous for the Lord.

Living all aspects of life for God. Many students were challenged to glorify God in all aspects of their life, including class attendance, study habits, work ethic, and relationships. They began to think differently about turning in their homework assignments, asking themselves, "Did I do this with such excellence that I could sign God's name on this paper?"

Do I do everything I can so that I could sign God's name on things in my life? I know the answer to that is NO, but it should be my desire. If Christ came a visiting to my front door, I don't know that I would want Him to walk in and see how I live my life. I want to be able to open the door and freely invite Him in, and in that regards, I need to be free to let any guest in, not be living in a way that I am embarrassed or ashamed.

I desire to be zealous for God. A couple of things I need to do: I need to refocus and redefine my goals. Something I read this morning was:

"Over time, the world has become like a neglected room. People bring in things that don't belong. They arrange priorities in ways that hinder potential. Lives become dull, overcrowded, and ineffective. Self-improvement projects offer little help."

It was refrencing a home improvement show/make-over show. Things look terrible, but then they work and build up suspense, until the final "reveal." God did the same thing through the Old Testament, then in the New Testament, the big reveal came: Jesus!

My desire is that Jesus would be revealed in my life every day.

Isaiah 40:5The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

1 comment:

Jay Stroud said...

Time to update your blog.